Guest Post by Jason Grossman
People living near the Philippine coastal village of Kusong in Saturday When flash floods caused by Tropical Storm Nargay turned into mudslides and buried villagers.
at least 20 BodyRescuers removed all children, including children, as they resumed work. Kuson, in southern Maguindanao province, was one of the worst hit by the storm, with at least 80 to 100 people likely to be buried, possibly including entire families.
PBS covered the remarks “When people heard the alarm bell, they ran and gathered in a church on the heights,” said Naguib Sinarimbo, interior minister of the Muslim autonomous region run by a former separatist guerrilla group.
Flooding inundated many areas, with people trapped on rooftops and destructive More than 700 households. More than 168,000 people have fled to evacuation camps.
Villagers’ diligence in preparedness after disaster compounded tragedy – preparedness drill decades after tsunami killed thousands 1976.
Cusson is one of them hardest hit area By the time of the disaster of 1976, the village would never forget that disaster. Elderly villagers who survived the tsunami pass their stories on to their children to prepare them.
Bulldozers, backhoes and loaders were brought to Cuson on Saturday along with more than 100 rescuers from the army, police and volunteers from other provinces, but they were unable to dig where survivors said the church was located below , because the mounds of dirt are still dangerous, officials said, soft.
The National Disaster Response Agency reported that 22 people were missing from the storm that hit several provinces. Sinarimbo said many of those who disappeared in Kusong were not included in the government’s official tally because the entire family may have been buried and no member could provide names and details to authorities.
The muddy floodwaters inundated about 60 rural homes in the roughly 5-hectare (12-acre) community, said Lieutenant Colonel Dennis Almorato, who traveled to the mudslide-hit community on Saturday. He did not estimate how many villagers might have been buried, but described the extent of the mudslide as “overwhelming” and said the nighttime disaster may have unfolded quickly.
Regional army commander Roy Gallimore has been assigned to lead an emergency command center for the search and retrieval efforts in Cuzon, officials said.
Sina Limbo Say Many of Kusong’s missing persons have not yet been fully recovered as entire families may have been buried, and no details have been provided to officials.
In addition to returning to work, locals are dealing with traffic disruptions as the Coast Guard bans sea travel and more than 100 domestic and international flights have been grounded. Cancel So far in the area.Manila International Airport short closure.
President Fernand Marcos Jr. voices concern on telecast Meeting Saturday with disaster mitigation officials. “We should have done better,” Marcos Jr. said. Say“We couldn’t have anticipated that there would be so much water, so we couldn’t warn people and then evacuate them into an impending flash flood.”
PBBM frustrated by ‘Paeng’ death toll in Maguindanao; says it’s ‘too high’
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. expressed disappointment and sought an explanation from the administration after the STS “Paeng” attack on Maguindanao Island reportedly killed 45 people.
— Office of the Press Secretary (@opsgovph) October 29, 2022
Binibigyang prayoridad natin ang kaligtasan ng mga may kapansanan, may karamdaman, mga seniors sa ating mga surgery at nagsasagawa rin tayo ng medical check sa ating mga evacuation center. pic.twitter.com/xhHxnVYNxj
— Bongbong Marcos (@bongbongmarcos) October 29, 2022