January 3, 2022 — 2023 is officially here, and if history repeats itself, millions of Americans may vow to lose those extra pounds this year for good. After all, losing weight is often one of the top things in New Year’s resolution surveys.
In time, with guidance on choosing the best plan.Posted today is us news and world reportannual ranking of The best meal plan ever.
Once again, the Mediterranean diet, which emphasizes fruits, vegetables, olive oil and fish, topped the list as the best diet overall. This is the sixth consecutive year of winning. But many other diets also scored top marks.
This year, us news, with the help of more than 30 nutritionists, doctors, and epidemiologists, grouped 24 diets into categories to help people find a plan that fits their goals, whether it’s finding the best weight-loss diet, the easiest to follow diet, or other program goals, such as managing diabetes or heart disease. Added two new categories: Best Diets for Bone and Joint Health and Best Diets for Families.
In previous years, the publication has ranked 40 diets. Even though the diet is no longer ranked, a profile of its details remains on the site.
“Every year we ask ourselves what we can do better or differently next time,” says Gretel Schueller, editor-in-chief of health. us news. When the publication got feedback from their experts this year, they asked to consider the sustainability of the diets and whether they met the needs of busy families, among many other factors.
This year’s report breaks down programs into 11 categories.
Winners and categories:
overall best diet
After the Mediterranean diet, two others tied for second:
- The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet, which fights high blood pressure and emphasizes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy.
- A flexitarian diet that focuses on fruits, vegetables, and other healthy foods, but also allows for occasional meat.
Best Weight Loss Diets
WW, formerly known as Weight Watchers, took first place. The program emphasizes not only weight loss, but also healthier eating and regular activity. Points programs assign specific points to food, a daily point budget, and are more personalized than in the past.
- DASH took second place.
- The Mayo Clinic Diet tied for third with the TLC diet. The Mayo Clinic Diet focuses on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. It can help people improve their eating habits. The TLC diet (Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes) focuses on vegetables, fruits, lean protein and lowers cholesterol levels.
Best Fast Weight Loss Diets
The ketogenic diet tops the list. This is a high-fat, low-carb diet designed to achieve weight loss by burning fat. The other four tied for second place:
- Atkins, a diet created by cardiologist Robert Atkins, starts with very few carbohydrates and then recommends gradually increasing your intake until you reach your weight loss goals
- Nutrisystem, a business program that includes prepackaged meals and focuses on high-protein, low-glycemic foods to stabilize blood sugar levels
- Optavia, a program focused on low-carb, low-calorie foods, including fortified meal replacements
- SlimFast Diet, a plan to replace two of your three meals a day with shakes, smoothies, and meal bars
The best diet for healthy eating
- the mediterranean
The Best Diets for a Heart Healthy Heart
- the mediterranean
- Flexitarian and Ornish tied for third. The Ornish Diet focuses on plant-based and whole foods and limits the use of animal products. It recommends daily exercise and stress reduction.
best diet for diabetes
- the mediterranean
The Best Diets for Bone and Joint Health
DASH and the Mediterranean tied for the top spot, followed by flexitarianism.
The Best Diets for Families
This category has a three-way relationship: Flexitarian, Mediterranean, and TLC diets.
best plant-based diet
First the Mediterranean, then flexitarian and MIND diets. The MIND diet combines the DASH and Mediterranean diets, focusing on “brain healthy” foods.
The easiest diet to follow
Flexitarian and TLC tied for first, followed by DASH and Mediterranean.
Best Meal Plan (formerly known as Business Plan)
- world war
- Jenny Craig tied for second with Noom, which focuses on low-calorie options, offering personalized calorie ranges and guidance to help meet goals.
A variety of factors were considered, such as whether the diet included all food groups, how easy it was to follow, whether it could be tailored to cultural and personal preferences, and whether there was a realistic timeline for weight loss.
Meal Plan Response
Representatives from two programs that received mixed comments in the rankings responded.
Jenny Craig was No. 2 for Best Meal Plans, but lower for Family-Friendly at No. 22nd place 24
“Our programs are designed to meet individual needs through a personalized experience,” said Jenny Craig CEO Mandy Dowson. “We have many families participating in our program together but still need to be assessed individually to determine appropriate individual goals.”
Its high ranking of the best meal plans reflects feedback from satisfied members, she said. One such advancement will be the new Jenny Fresh program, a line of freshly prepared entrees delivered to your door.
Atkins ranked second for Best Fast Weight Loss, but ranked near the bottom for Best Overall, Best Weight Loss, Diabetes, Healthy Eating, and Heart Health. In response, Colette Heimowitz, vice president of nutrition and education for Simply Good Foods, which makes Atkins foods, said the low-carb approach is a viable option for anyone today.
“There are more than 130 independent, peer-reviewed published studies showing the effectiveness and safety of low-carb diets,” she says. “These studies have been going on for decades and counting.”
Samantha Cassetty, NYC-based registered dietitian, nutritionist, and health professional, and author of sugar shock, reviewed the report from WebMD. She is not involved in the ranking.
“I think it shows you that the best diet overall is also the best diet for every situation,” she said. For example, Mediterranean, which ranks No. 1 overall, also ranks high for diabetes, heart health, and bone and joint health, she noted.
For consumers trying to lose weight: “If you see rapid weight loss, that should be a red flag. A healthy weight loss diet is something you can maintain,” she says.
She doesn’t like prepackaged food shows. “It takes the guesswork out, but the serving sizes are often unsatisfactory. They don’t teach you how to tackle some challenges [such as realizing an ‘ideal’ portion size]”
How to use the report
Schueller’s advice: “Recognize that there is no one-size-fits-all diet.” When considering which plan to choose, she recommends taking the long view.
“Whatever we choose has to be effective in the long term,” she said.
Consumers should consider cost, time to prepare meals, and whether a diet fits their lifestyle.
Ideally, she says, the best diets “teach you how to prepare food smartly and how to make healthy choices, giving you the flexibility to socialize and eat with family or friends.”
Consult a medical professional for advice on your decision before choosing a diet to follow, us news Precautions.